The United Nations said Friday it had received no official notification from the United States regarding reports that Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas could be prevented from attending next month’s UN General Assembly in New York.
UN spokesman Stephane Dujarric said visa applications for heads of state and other senior officials are handled by the United States as the host country, rather than by the UN Secretariat.
His comments followed media reports suggesting that the Trump administration could, for the second consecutive year, deny Abbas permission to travel to New York to address the General Assembly.
Dujarric said the UN was aware of the reports but had not received any formal communication from Washington.
He stressed that the UN expects the United States to fulfil its responsibilities under the UN headquarters agreement, which provides for access to New York for diplomats and government officials conducting official UN business.
Dujarric acknowledged that visa disputes had occurred previously, including cases involving Russian delegations, and said the UN Secretariat had raised such matters directly with US authorities.
He added that the Secretariat would continue to engage with Washington when questions surrounding access to the United Nations arise.


